Thursday 27 October 2011

I BLAME DISNEY!

Just as Katie had mentioned the concept of dating and how watching Disney has ruined her expectations of first dates, I too had started to think about this. I spent the majority of my childhood watching Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Aladdin et al. and have realised that somewhere in the back of my consciences I still have expectations that 'someday my prince will come'. 

I think the majority of woman still fantasise about getting swept off their feet by a gorgeous, well mannered, polite, impeccably dressed, music loving, talks to the animals kinda guy, which is never the case in reality. In Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and The Little Mermaid the 'prince' characters are extremely perfect (if not to the point of boredom). Even in Aladdin, the only real downside to his character is that he is not a real prince, but then the rules of prince hood are changed (which is allowed because it's Disney) and he becomes one by default (winning the affections of Jasmine). 

Even in Lady and the Tramp our expectations of dating are illusive. I know that we are dealing with animals here and it is very unlikely that dogs really do go on dates, but I have always watched in awe at the spaghetti scene! Who hasn't? When I was a child, I thought that dinner dates would entail being serenaded by accordion playing Italians, candle light and pasta (although, I also thought that Ariel in The Little Mermaid seemed 'grown up' at the tender age of 16 and that mice really can rescue kidnapped children as in The Rescuers). As we all know from experience of eating the stuff, Spaghetti Bolognese is a massive no-no on a date! Team that with a white shirt and your just heading for disaster! Also, if the person I was on a date with moved a meatball across the plate with his nose I would probably end up running for the hills! Yes. I really do think Disney has clouded my judgement about dating!

Maybe I'm onto something here? Hmm interesting ...

No comments:

Post a Comment